7 Mistakes I Made as a Beginner Programmer (So You Don't Have To)
Every developer has a list of mistakes they'd rather forget. I'm not going to pretend I skipped that phase I made plenty of them building my first projects, and honestly, some of them cost me hours (sometimes days) of frustration that could've been avoided with a five-minute fix.
Here are 7 real mistakes I made early in my programming journey, why they happened, and exactly how to avoid them.
1. Writing Raw SQL Queries Instead of Using Prepared Statements
The mistake: In my early PHP projects, I built SQL queries by directly gluing user input into the query string:
// ❌ What I used to do
$email = $_POST["email"];
$query = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE email = '$email'";
$result = mysqli_query($conn, $query);This worked fine until it didn't. This pattern is wide open to SQL injection, where a malicious user can type something like ' OR '1'='1 into the email field and manipulate your entire query, potentially exposing or destroying your database.
The solution: Use prepared statements. Always.
// ✅ What I do now
$stmt = $conn->prepare("SELECT * FROM users WHERE email = ?");
$stmt->bind_param("s", $email);
$stmt->execute();
$result = $stmt->get_result();My advice: Make this a rule with no exceptions, even in throwaway test scripts. The habit only sticks if you never let yourself skip it "just this once."
2. Not Validating or Sanitizing User Input
The mistake: I used to trust that users would submit forms exactly the way I expected clean emails, correct number formats, no empty fields. They didn't. Empty submissions, broken HTML tags, and mismatched data types broke my scripts constantly.
The solution: Validate everything before you use it, and sanitize anything you'll display back on the page.
$name = trim($_POST["name"] ?? "");
$email = trim($_POST["email"] ?? "");
if (empty($name) || empty($email)) {
die("Please fill in all required fields.");
}
if (!filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {
die("That email address doesn't look valid.");
}
echo htmlspecialchars($name); // safe to display back on the pageMy advice: Treat every single piece of data coming from $_GET, $_POST, or an API as untrustworthy until proven otherwise. It costs you a few extra lines of code; it saves you from broken pages and security holes.
3. Copy-Pasting Code I Didn't Actually Understand
The mistake: Early on, when I got stuck, I'd find a StackOverflow answer or tutorial snippet, paste it in, and move on the moment it worked without understanding why it worked. It felt productive in the moment. It wasn't. The same bug would resurface later in a different form, and I'd have no idea how to fix it because I never understood the original fix.
The solution: Before pasting any code, ask: could I explain this line by line to someone else? If not, slow down and actually read through it or better, rewrite it in your own words once you understand it.
My advice: It's fine to learn from other people's code that's how most of us learn. Just don't let "it works" replace "I understand why it works." The second one is what actually makes you a better developer over time.
4. Ignoring Error Messages Instead of Reading Them
The mistake: When PHP threw an error, my first instinct used to be mild panic, followed by randomly changing lines of code hoping something would fix it. I rarely actually read the error message properly.
The solution: PHP (and most languages) tell you almost exactly what went wrong and where. A message like:
Fatal error: Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: Unknown column 'usernam' in 'field list'...is telling you there's a typo in a column name, and it's even telling you the exact file and line number if you check further down the error output. Read the message top to bottom before touching your code.
My advice: Errors are your debugging tool, not your enemy. Read them slowly, once, before making any changes you'll fix bugs in a fraction of the time.
5. Not Using Version Control From the Start
The mistake: For a long time, I "backed up" projects by manually copying folders and renaming them project_final, project_final_v2, project_final_ACTUAL. It was chaotic, and more than once I lost track of which version had which fix.
The solution: Use Git from day one, even for tiny solo projects.
git init
git add .
git commit -m "Initial commit"From there, commit regularly with clear messages, and push to GitHub so your work is backed up off your machine too.
My advice: Git has a learning curve, but it's a small one compared to the pain of losing work or not being able to undo a bad change. Learn the basics (add, commit, push, branch) early it will save you real pain later.
6. Building the Whole App Before Testing Any of It
The mistake: I used to write huge chunks of a project sometimes an entire feature before running it even once. When something broke (and it always did), I had no idea which of the 200 lines I'd just written caused the problem.
The solution: Build and test in small pieces. Write a few lines, run it, confirm it works, then move to the next small piece.
// Instead of writing this whole block blind...
function processOrder($orderId) { /* 50 lines of logic */ }
// ...build and test it piece by piece:
function getOrder($orderId) {
// test this alone first
}My advice: Small, frequent testing feels slower in the moment but is dramatically faster overall, because you catch bugs while the cause is still one or two lines away not buried in 200 lines you wrote an hour ago.
7. Comparing My Progress to Other Developers Online
The mistake: Early on, I'd see other developers online showcasing polished apps and assume I was falling behind, even though I was still learning fundamentals. It made me rush through basics I hadn't actually mastered yet, just to "catch up."
The solution: Compare your progress only to where you were a month ago, not to someone else's highlight reel you rarely see their years of failed projects and mistakes, only the finished result.
My advice: Depth beats speed when you're still building fundamentals. A slower learner who deeply understands loops, arrays, and databases will outpace a faster learner who rushed past them, every time, once real projects get complicated.
The Common Thread
Looking back, almost every mistake on this list comes from the same root cause: moving fast without understanding what I was actually doing. Prepared statements, input validation, reading errors, version control, incremental testing none of these are advanced skills. They're basic habits that are easy to skip when you're eager to see results.
If you're just starting out: build the habits early. It's far easier to learn them now, on a small project, than to unlearn bad habits later on a big one.
What's a mistake you made early on that taught you something the hard way? Share it in the comments someone reading this is probably about to make the same one.
Hit me with a comment!